21 January, 2010

Carrot Cake


Yesterday was baking day. I'm rather too proud of the way this cake turned out as I had adapted and changed the recipe somewhat. I'm still such a novice when it comes to cake making that the little success I have feels like a bigger deal than it is.



Coffee and cake is a classic combination and one I am probably too fond of (Too proud and too fond..not selling my good points here am I?!)

Still...a few pieces of cake can't hurt now and then.

And besides, this cake is a health-food cake...it has carrots in it!


Carrot Cake Recipe:

225g soft brown sugar
225g self-raising flour
225g butter
4 eggs
2-3 medium sized carrots, grated
Juice of 1 lemon OR orange

1. Cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
2. Beat in the eggs and mix well.
3. Add the grated carrots and mix well again.
4. Add the lemon/orange juice.
5. Sift in the flour and mix well.


Bake in a pre-heated oven at 150 degrees C for about 90 minutes in a deep cake tin (I use a cake tin about 4 inches deep). It makes for a very tall, but very delicious cake! Perfect sliced in two halves with vanilla buttercream in the middle.

No comments: