25 February, 2010

Swimming Against The Tide

It's a tough job being a woman in this day and age. Even more so being a young woman. Mine is the generation that has never known a world without feminism and 'women's rights' and in many ways we have reaped much benefit from the changes that have occured in the past 30 years or so. We can climb the career ladder and own property (when Margaret Thatcher first became Prime Minister she, like every woman in the UK, was legally unable to buy a house for herself; needing the signature of a male guarantor. And she was the PM!). We can buy our own cars and clothes and holidays and we do not need to rely on a man to provide for us.

We are the 'Sex and the City' generation. We've grown up listening to Beyonce preaching to us about being an "Independent Woman" and we've watched Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda sleep their way through New York, decked out in designer gear whilst simultaneously holding down fabulous, glamorous high pressure jobs. Yes, truly, we can do anything that a man can and we can do it in heels.

And I don't begrudge anyone the right to live how they want but for those of us (there are many...I know there are) who decide not to buy into the system, life can be tricky.

This has become all the more obvious to me since leaving my work and 'coming home'. I wasn't a real high-flyer, but I did work in a high pressure, male dominated industry where competition was fierce. At times, it was a really depressing place to be. Women were seldom taken seriously and there was an expectation that we would work a lot harder than the men just to be noticed.
The effect this had on the women was quite profound. Few were married, fewer still had children. And the further up the ladder you climbed, the less and less likely you were to find women living in traditional families. "Man-bashing" was a common every day occurrence, the prospect of babies and children was frequently scoffed at and Lord help you if you dare to suggest that it's not such a bad thing to be dependent on a man.

So I was not at all surprised to read the results of an American health study a few months ago that rather sensationally revealed that "career women" have higher levels of infertility, more incidents of hormone in-balances and are more prone to heart attacks, stroke and similar health problems resulting from their stressful work environments.

Women have clearly suffered as a result of the massive back-lash against traditional gender roles. Wasn't the concept of female emancipation supposed to be about choice? I find it hard to believe that scores of women across the western world are shackling themselves to jobs that leave them exhausted and childless because they want to.

Maybe this is happening because women so often feel that they simply don't have a choice. The messages we hear throughout school, university, from friends and teachers are relentless. You either work full-time, or you're "just a mother". You either support the availability of abortion, or you are anti-woman. You either earn as much money as you can or you risk handing over all control to the man in your life. You either wait to have babies until you're in you're late 30's or you're wasting your youth.

This isn't choice. This is battery by social expectation.

But despite years and years of heavy propaganda, the tide of our culture cannot wash away the basic biological and psychological instincts of women. A lot of us still do want to have children, some of us really long for it. We still do wish to be married rather than just live with someone. We still enjoy pottering about at home on a sunny day, baking a cake, knitting a scarf or potting some plants. We may be aware that these things don't constitute 'meaningful' work in the eyes of society but a lot of us still do it all anyway.

I'm one of the lucky ones though.

I have felt completely liberated since leaving the work-place and my experiences made me seriously re-assess most of what I was taught by my hardcore feminist lecturers at university. And I was incredibly lucky to meet a man who really valued the role of a traditional wife and mother, a man who is not afraid to carry the financial burden of our family without support from his wife.

I would love to be able to say that I have a magic solution, an antidote to the huge pressure heaped on young women to abandon their natural instincts and hurl themselves into stressful careers which force them to behave and act like men. But there is no antidote. My daughter will no doubt experience the same pressure when she comes of age.

But what we can do is eliminate ourselves from the competition. We can remove ourselves from the rat-race and decide alone how to best spend our time and energy. I believe for some women, this does mean forging a career, even when children come along. But for great numbers of women, the traditional role of wife and mother is a valid choice, made through conscious and deliberate consideration of all the available options.

We need to reclaim our right to choose. We will have to swim against the tide and begin a new, fresh 'women's movement'. We don't need to take to the streets though, wave banners or hold meetings. We can start this movement by simply by refusing to 'justify' our choices to virtual strangers. We can start by holding ourselves answerable only to God and our conscience.

We need to reclaim our right to choose.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I echo your thoughts wholeheartedly. I was very successful in college (or "university" for you, I suppose, haha), and my profs were either angry or disappointed when I told them of my desire to be a home-keeper and home-school mother. One that I very much admired said, "I can't see you *just* being a home-school mom." :( My friends have worried about my "happiness," saying that my "brilliance" (their word, not mine, lol) will be wasted at home, and what's so wrong with having a career? Etc. It's been difficult to keep my eyes on the Godly woman of Scripture under all that influence!

I think something that should be emphasized more, especially among Christians as it obviously holds little water with non-believers, is the role of Scripture in this debate. God's Word is very clear as to what kind of woman is a Godly woman. What this woman does, how she carries and presents herself, how she speaks, with whom she aligns her desires and goals... all of this is very clear when you turn to the Bible. THAT is the main reason to do what we do, not just because it is the most fulfilling thing (because it is! God wired us that way on purpose).

Anyway... just some thoughts. :)

Mary M said...

Thanks for your comments Stephanie. I completely agree with you...Christian women should not be afraid to live out the scriptural 'blue-print' laid our for us...and it's always nice to hear about fellow "clever girls" who feel pulled towards a life so different from that of their peers...it is so hard to stand against the tide.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

I'm on dangerous ground here as a man commenting on feminism, but I come in peace! It seems to me that where feminism has failed in its goals of choice and freedom for women is, as you suggest, in the downgrading of the traditional, pre-feminist female roles. I don't believe women were ever exactly enslaved by men although I don't doubt that it happened. But it was (and still is) *some* men, not men as in *all* men! Although I would agree that there were things that needed evening up...a woman is entitled to enter the workplace and be treated equally of course. But whereas once women were *seen* as enslaved to men they are now just just as enslaved but to consumerism instead. And the thing is that consumerism is the real slave driver, worse than any man! But somehow the feminists would argue that if you're enslaved to a consumer culture it's better than being enslaved to a man? To me, it's the same thing and as I say, only one of those really does enslave you! Women, use the freedom you have to chose a job if you want or stay at home and be a wife and mother and stop thinking one has got to be inferior to the other. You won the freedom, use it!
Rambler.

Mary M said...

Thank you Rambler! Reading your comment, it's as if I know you from somewhere! lol

xx