10 February, 2010

Lenten Challenge

It's nearly that time of year again. Lent. In a week's time there will come 40 days and 40 nights in which to reflect, pray, repent and deny to self.

I'll admit I don't enjoy Lent. I know for some people the challenge of self-control and the extra focus on prayer is inspiring and positive, but I don't find it so. I always do participate in the Lenten challenges though. I observe the no meat on Fridays rule, I confess and I give up something I love for the duration but often-times, the spirit of the season is really lacking in me. Giving up chocolate is not so hard to do, but vowing not to moan about it is a real challenge!

But this year I sense that things will have to change. I will have to up my game and really throw myself into Lent with the right attitude. Since becoming a mother and realising the enormous responsibilities that this brings, I see that in future I will be the example that my daughter follows, in so many areas of life. If I am to expect her to observe this season, and to benefit spiritually from it, I will have to show her how to do it. And this year is an excellent year to begin for I have been challenged by Hubby to attend Mass every day during Lent as well as observing all the other usual practices. And what better reminder could there be of the meaning of Lent than celebrating Mass every day?

So this year, I've decided that instead of spending another 6 weeks moaning about the fact that I'm not eating chocolate, or watching TV, or buying magazines, or whatever other challenge I've taken upon myself; I am going to spend 6 weeks giving up the things I love, attending Mass daily and not complaining about it.

It should make for an interesting, challenging 6 weeks. But I have a good feeling I'll come out the other side feeling refreshed, motivated and humbled.

Bring On The Lenten Challenge!

*Photo from http://recoveringperfectionist.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/angelsey-llanddwyn-cross-1.jpg

No comments: