15 March, 2010

Of Babies and Baking

Babies and baking don't mix well. And it seems that my baby in particular and baking really don't mix well.

Hubby and I are blessed with what is gently referred to as a 'high-need' baby. She is inquisitive, easily upset, very vocal and unwilling to sit or lie still for longer than a few minutes. She wants to do, see, hear and touch everything. Especially anything that I am doing, watching, listening to or holding. So when she's not being carried in her baby sling, she is dangling from my right hip as I attempt to do all kinds of household jobs one-handed. It makes for many a comical moment!

So it goes without saying that I don't get as much time to bake as I'd like. At the moment I'm lucky if I manage a baking session twice a week. So it is extra, extra nice when a half-hour opportunity presents itself and I'm able to try my hand at something new.

I love to bake bread, but with all the kneading, rising and kneading again, it's really not baby-friendly. So today I tried out a no yeast, almost no kneading recipe that really worked out well...it's amazing how much satisfaction can be gained from virtually zero effort!

This is one recipe I'll definitely be teaching my little girl when she's big enough to stand on a chair and hold a wooden spoon...

Martha's No Yeast Bread Recipe:

600g plain flour
15 fl oz water
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp bicarbonate of soda

1. Mix dry ingredients together first in a large mixing bowl and then add the water.
2. Mix well until a dough is formed.
3. When ready, transfer the dough to a well-floured surface and knead for 2 -3 minutes, or until the dough is pliant and non-sticky. Add more flour if needed.
4. Shape into a round, measuring about 1 1/2 inches deep.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C/400F for about 40 minutes.

1 comment:

zetor said...

My youngest daughter loved to stand on a little stool and help me bake!