20 August, 2010

Country Living

Hooray! After months of indecision, consternation and long evening talks, we have decided that now is the time to move out the city and into the country.

I grew up a country girl and although I love the speed and convenience of city life, Martha needs and deserves to have some of the space and greenery that I got to use and enjoy as a child.

And we're very excited for ourselves too!

The English countryside is, in my own small opinion, the most beautiful in the world and once there I can't wait to dive in and partake of some country pleasures and pursuits. Nothing too muddy mind you. I never was one for stomping about in rain and dirt. ;-)

No, my thoughts are turning more towards those lovely cosy projects that lend themselves so well to crisp Autumn evenings and long winter nights.

Here are a few brimming ideas on my country to-do list:

1. Make jam. There's no reason why this can't be done in the city and I have on a few occasions, done so, but home-made jam made with locally grown, organic strawberries is definitely all the sweeter in the country.

2. Learn how to sew - properly. My sewing skills are seriously lacking. But with fewer distractions and hopefully some help with Martha (my family will be living close by) I might just find time to take a sewing class or two and really learn how to make my own clothes.

3. Quilting. My mother is a quilting extraordinaire. She's relatively new to it but has picked it up with ferocious skill and speed. She's gainfully asked if I would like her to make me one. Well, no need to ask! I look forward to many an hour spent watching and learning.

4. Gardening. With any luck, I'll be able to get my mitts just a tad grubby in our very own patch of land. No more will my herbs be confined to pots. It's real soil and earth from now on! And who knows, if I get lucky, I might just get a crop of onions going too.

5. And perhaps best of all, I'll be able to read Country Living, no sense of irony required!

It's back to the country we go!

No comments: